July 27, 2005

Probe focuses on donation to GOP: Election official says he was offered $10,000 -Plain Dealer

Probe focuses on donation to GOP

Election official says he was offered $10,000


Saturday, July 16, 2005

Julie Carr Smyth

Plain Dealer Bureau

Columbus - A member of the Franklin County election board said Friday [July 15th] that prosecutors are investigating whether a GOP political consultant tried to bribe the board's director to buy voting equipment made by his client, Diebold Inc.

The director, Matthew Damschroder, has told prosecutors that the consultant, Pat Gallina, came to his office in early 2004, offering him $10,000.

"Pat Gallina came into my office at the Board of Elections and said, 'I'm here to give you $10,000. Who should I direct it to?' " Damschroder recalled. "I said, 'Certainly not to me. But I'm sure the Franklin County Republican Party would appreciate a voluntary donation. That was my first mistake."


Full text of article

No comments: