PANEL ON THE CRISIS OF U.S. ELECTIONS Friday, September 16th, 1:00-4:00 P.M.
Murrow, Lisagor Room (13th floor)
National Press Club
529 14th Street, N.W.
Friday, September 16th, 1:00-4:00 P.M.
No pre-registration required; no admission charge.
*REP. JESSE JACKSON, JR AND 1980 PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE JOHN ANDERSON TO
LEAD PANEL ON THE CRISIS OF U.S. ELECTIONS SET FOR SEPTEMBER 16*
Event: "A Call to Protect and Democratize U.S. Elections: A Panel
Presentation on the challenges to American elections," at the National
Press Club in Washington, D.C., sponsored by the Green Institute,
Liberty Tree, and Fairvote.
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr. (D-Ill.), 1980 independent
presidential candidate John Anderson (who now heads Fairvote), Melanie
Campbell of the Coalition for Black Civic Participation, and other
leaders in the movement for election reform will speak at."A Call to
Protect and Democratize U.S. Elections: A Panel Presentation on the
challenges to American elections."
"The numerous allegations of manipulation in the 2000 and 2004 elections
and the change of personnel on the U.S. Supreme Court have raised
questions about the future of American democracy," said Dean Myerson,
executive director of the Green Institute. "The September 16 panel will
feature political and activist leaders with a lot to say about barriers
to voting, problems with computer voting machines, and challenges posed
by our at-large, winner-take-all election system."
The event will take place at the National Press Club on Friday,
September 16, 1-4 p.m., and is sponsored by the Green Institute, the
Liberty Tree Foundation for the Democratic Revolution, and Fairvote.
Also on the panel will be 2004 Green Party presidential candidate David
Cobb, who initiated the Ohio and New Mexico recounts in the wake of
numerous reports of election manipulation and vote obstruction by
Republican and Democratic officials in those states.
The panel will provide the media with concise information on these
problems and offer concrete solutions for restoring the promise of
American democracy. Liberty Tree Foundation fellow Patrick Barrett will
moderate. The web page for the event is located at
A list of participants, sponsors, and other details follows below.
Refreshments will be
• Rep. Jesse Jackson, Jr, initiator of the Right to Vote Constitutional
• John Anderson, 1980 Independent Presidential Candidate and Chair of
the Center for Voting & Democracy http://www.fairvote.org
• Melanie Campbell, Executive Director of the Coalition for Black Civic
• David Cobb, 2004 Green Party Presidential Candidate and initiator of
the Ohio and New Mexico recount efforts http://www.votecobb.org
• Terry Ao, Senior Attorney, National Asian-Pacific American Legal
• Rebecca Mercuri: President and CEO of Notable Software and an expert
on electronic voting technology http://www.notablesoftware.org
• Linda Schade, Co-Founder and Spokesperson of TrueVoteMD: Campaign for
Verifiable Voting in Maryland http://www.truevotemd.org
• Juan Cartagena, General Counsel, Community Service Society, New York
• The Green Institute, http://www.greeninstitute.net
• The Liberty Tree Foundation for the Democratic Revolution,
• Fairvote: The Center for Voting & Democracy, http://www.fairvote.org
With additional support from the A. E. Havens Center,
For additional information:
Scott McLarty, 202-518-5624, firstname.lastname@example.org
Ryan O'Donnell, 301-270-4616, email@example.com
Patrick Barrett, 608-262-0854, firstname.lastname@example.org
Post a Comment